MARCH STARTING POINT
Sheldon Field, corner of Bridge Street (Rt 9) and Old Ferry Rd, Northampton
GATHERING START TIME
MARCH STEP OFF TIME
Northampton City Hall
1:00 pm (approx.)
From points south, take Exit 19 on I-91, turn left. Sheldon Fields is just a short distance (about .4 miles) down the road on your left.
From points north, take Exit 20. At the first traffic light, turn left onto Damon Road. Take Damon Road for about 1 mi, then turn right onto Bridge Street. Sheldon Fields is about .4 miles down the road).
We would like to start the March on time so please arrive early (11:00 on). Give yourself enough time to park and get to Sheldon Field!
There will be several parking volunteers holding Women’s March Signs to direct you to available parking. We want everyone to park safely and legally so please follow their advice.
UPDATE: There will be limited parking spaces at Sheldon Field for $5!
Parking is never easy in Northampton but have some ideas to ease this:
- PLEASE carpool. If you are meeting friends, we suggest meeting up at a larger parking lot and only taking one car to the March. We have some carpool meet-up locations suggested below.
- If you are able, we highly encourage people to park in town at Union Station or the Parking Garage. This is a bit of a walk but it will make for easier parking. Please remember that meters will be enforced on Saturday.
- If you park in town but do not want to walk, there is a PVTA bus that picks up right in front of the Academy of Music and drops off right at Sheldon Field. http://www.pvta.com/schedules/B43no_school.pdf
Carpool meet-up location suggestions! (please note: we are not arranging carpools. This information is particularly helpful for those of you marching as larger groups).
- Yankee Candle, 25 Greenfield Rd, S. Deerfield
- Big Y, 136 N. King St., Northampton
- Walmart, 180 N. King St., Northampton
- Cooley Dickenson Medical Group, 22 Atwood Drive, Northampton – at intersection of Atwood Drive and Routh 5, just south of I-91 northbound Exit 18 and somewhat further south of I-91 southbound Exit 18.
- Mountain Farms Mall, 337 Russell St., Hadley – the southeast corner of the property, where Planet Fitness used to be, is a good place. It’s behind Walmart, in the back-left corner of the mall, adjacent to the intersection of South Maple Street and the Norwottuck Rail Trail.
- Lowe’s, 282 Russell Street, Hadley
- John F. Kennedy Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence
There will also be off-street parking at:
- the Norwottuck Rail Trail parking lot, Damon Road just north of Route 9 (~40 spaces)
- Montessori School of Northampton, 52 Bates St. (~8-10 spaces will be marked “Women’s March”)
- Royal Talens, 30 Industrial Drive (~30 spaces)
There is on-street parking near Sheldon Field at:
- Marshall St.
- Swan St.
- Crosby St.
- Hubbard Ave.
- Coolidge Ave.
- Sherman Ave.
- Glenwood Ave. (dead end) – parking on east side only
- Day Ave. – parking on west side only
- Lincoln Ave.
- Grant Ave. (dead end) – parking on east side only
- Elizabeth St. – parking on east side only
- Orchard St. – parking on west side only
- Fair St. – parking on west side only
On-Street Parking Rules
- Leave 3’ clearance on each side of a driveway
- Don’t park within 20’ of an intersection
- Don’t park in such a way as to prevent a 12’ width of street being available for emergency equipment
- Metered parking will be in force from 8am – 6pm
If you are marching with a group, we recommend carpooling and traveling together to Sheldon Field. At the staging area we recommend having a sign to help your members find you. If your group would like to co-sponsor the march and/or table at our Activist Fair, please sign up here.
PVWM aims to make the march and rally accessible to all. If you need assistance due to limited mobility or disability, please check in with a volunteer. They will be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU NEED A RIDE BACK TO SHELDON FIELD AFTER THE MARCH/RALLY. We do not have shuttles but will happily arrange for a ride for those who cannot otherwise make the return trip!
Thanks to donations, we will have a wheelchair accessible port-a-potty at the Sheldon Field gathering area.
ASL interpreters will be at Sheldon Field at the beginning of the march and at the rally at the City Hall steps. Please leave room at the front of the rally for individuals who need to be closest!
If you have a specific accommodation request, please email pvwomensmarch at gmail dot com.
The march route is 0.9 miles. We will turn left onto Bridge Street and then right onto Main Street to arrive at City Hall for the Rally.
Please feel free to join us at any point on the march route!
The rally is scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm at Northampton City Hall on Main Street. We have a dynamic group of speakers and performers so please join in!
There will be ASL interpreters and we ask that those needing interpretation come to the front of the steps so they have the clearest view. If you need help, please ask a volunteer.
After the rally, if you need assistance returning to your vehicle, please make sure you reach out to a volunteer.
Thanks to donations, we are able to have a wheelchair accessible port-a-potty at Sheldon Field! There are also public bathrooms at Thornes Marketplace open during Thornes’ regular business hours. If you avail yourself of a restroom at one of our wonderful local businesses, please be courteous and make a purchase!
During and after the march and rally (12-3 pm) there will be an activist fair at the First Churches of Northampton (129 Main Street). Find out how you can get involved with local activist organizations and find out what actions you can take following the march.
If your organization would like to table at the Activist Fair, let us know here.
Questions, comments, concerns: reach out to us at pvwomensmarch at gmail dot com