NORTHAMPTON WOMEN’S MARCH FAQ
March Starting Time: 11 am
March Starting Point: Sheldon Fields
Bridge Street (aka Route 9), Northampton MA
DIRECTIONS (from points North and South)
From points south, take Exit 19 on I-91, turn left. Sheldon Fields is just a short distance (about .4 miles) down the road on your left.
From points north, take Exit 20. At the first traffic light, turn left onto Damon Road. Take Damon Road for about 1 mi, then turn right onto Bridge Street. Sheldon Fields is about .4 miles down the road).
We would like to start the March on time so please arrive early (10:30-10:45). Please leave time for parking.
There will be several parking volunteers holding Women’s March Signs to direct you to available parking. We want everyone to park safely and legally so please follow their advice.
Sheldon Field (turn onto Old Ferry Road off of Bridge Street) has 70 parking places and the over-flow lot has 22. We would like to leave the majority of these spaces for marchers who need a little extra help… and in particular our elderly or disabled marchers. Please let a volunteer know so they can help accommodate you.
Parking is never easy in Northampton but have some ideas to ease this.
- PLEASE carpool. If you are meeting friends, we suggest meeting up at a larger parking lot and only taking one car to the March. We have some carpool meet-up locations suggested below.
- If you are able, we highly encourage people to park in town at Union Station or the Parking Garage. This is a bit of a walk but it will make for easier parking. Please remember that meters will be enforced on Saturday.
- If you park in town but do not want to walk, there is a bus that picks up right in front of the Academy of Music and drops off right at Sheldon Field. http://www.pvta.com/schedules/B43no_school.pdf
Carpool meetup locations (please note: we are not arranging carpools. This information is particularly helpful for those of you marching as larger groups).
- Yankee Candle, 25 Greenfield Rd, S. Deerfield
- Big Y, 136 N. King St., Northampton
- Walmart, 180 N. King St., Northampton
- Cooley Dickenson Medical Group, 22 Atwood Drive, Northampton – at intersection of Atwood Drive and Routh 5, just south of I-91 northbound Exit 18 and somewhat further south of I-91 southbound Exit 18.
- Mountain Farms Mall, 337 Russell St., Hadley – the southeast corner of the property, where Planet Fitness used to be, is a good place. It’s behind Walmart, in the back-left corner of the mall, adjacent to the intersection of South Maple Street and the Norwottuck Rail Trail.
- Lowe’s, 282 Russell Street, Hadley
- John F. Kennedy Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Flore
There will also be off-street parking at:
- the Norwottuck Rail Trail parking lot, Damon Road just north of Route 9 (~40 spaces)
- Montessori School of Northampton, 52 Bates St. (~8-10 spaces will be marked “Women’s March”)
- Royal Talens, 30 Industrial Drive (~30 spaces)
There is on-street parking near Sheldon Field at:
- Marshall St.
- Swan St.
- Crosby St.
- Hubbard Ave.
- Coolidge Ave.
- Sherman Ave.
- Glenwood Ave. (dead end) – parking on east side only
- Day Ave. – parking on west side only
- Lincoln Ave.
- Grant Ave. (dead end) – parking on east side only
- Elizabeth St. – parking on east side only
- Orchard St. – parking on west side only
- Fair St. – parking on west side only
On-Street Parking Rules
- Leave 3’ clearance on each side of a driveway
- Don’t park within 20’ of an intersection
- Don’t park in such a way as to prevent a 12’ width of street being available for emergency equipment
- Metered parking will be in force from 8am – 6pm
If you are marching with a group, please head toward the GROUPS sign.
EXTRA ASSISTANCE FOR THOSE WITH MOBILITY ISSUES OR A DISABILITY
If you need assistance, please check in with a volunteer wearing a blue, starred sash. They will be able to answer your questions and, if they can’t, they can reach the person who can. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU NEED A RIDE BACK TO SHELDON FIELDS AFTER THE MARCH. We do not have shuttles but will happily arrange for a ride for those who cannot otherwise make the return trip.
The march route is 0.9 miles. We will turn left onto Bridge Street and then right onto Main Street to arrive at City Hall for the Rally.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN AT ANY POINT OF THE MARCH ROUTE!
The rally is scheduled to begin at noon at Northampton City Hall on Main Street. We have a dynamic group of speakers and performers so please join in!
There will be ASL interpreters and we ask that those needing interpretation come to the front of the steps so they have the clearest view. If you need help, please ask a volunteer.
During the rally, there will also be a few other events:
- Voter Registration
- An empowering self-defense demonstration by Spirit of the Heart
- Merchandise sales: t-shirts, bags and stickers will be available to offset costs. All proceeds will be donated to the Black Mamas Matter Alliance, a coalition that focuses on improving maternal health care for Women of Color. We are making this donation in the memory of the late Erica Garner.
- The Clothesline Project: a place for people to be included in a visual representation of the prevalence of sexual harassment and assault in our society.
After the rally, if you need assistance returning to your vehicle, please make sure you reach out to a volunteer.
Otherwise, the Activist Fair will begin in the basement of the Unitarian Society (1-3), followed by the screening of the documentary Women’s March at 1st Churches (3-5), a 45 Years of Roe: A Sweet Celebration event at Click Workspace to benefit the Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund of Western MA and the Abortion Rights Fund of Western MA and a Fierce Femmes of the 413 After-Party at Bishop’s Lounge.
Questions, comments, concerns: reach out to us at pvwomensmarch at gmail dot com